08 Jun Historic Times | Philippa Gregory Interview
Our guest on this episode is queen of historical fiction Philippa Gregory, who is talking about her latest novel Dark Tides, which takes the reader between London, New England and Venice in the 17th Century. This is the sequel to her bestseller Tidelands, which introduced Alinor and her family. In her conversation with Kate, Philippa talks about characters which take writers by surprise, how she goes about the research for her novels, and why no woman should want to have been born before 1960.
Philippa is the author of 30 historical novels, including 15 in her Plantagenet and Tudor series which contains probably her best known book, The Other Boleyn Girl which has now been filmed twice: once by the BBC and then with Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman. One of the ways her books stand out is that she brings to life women in history whose personalities tend only to be recorded as someone else’s wife or mother. Wideacre, one of Philippa’s earliest works, is on the unlimited selection on BorrowBox this month.
NEW UNLIMITED TITLES THIS MONTH ON BORROWBOX:
- 1984 by George Orwell (audiobook). ‘Big Brother is watching you’ read by Philip Glenister.
- Stay With Me by Ayobami Adebayo. Nigerian tale of what wanting a child can do to a person, a marriage and a family.
- Long Road to Mercy by David Baldacci. First novel in the series featuring female protagonist, Atlee Pine, FBI.
- Wideacre by Philippa Gregory (audiobook). First story in the bestselling Wideacre trilogy set in the 18th Century.
- The Dead Fathers Club by Matt Haig, retelling of Hamlet by the author of How to Stop Time.
- The Pact by Amy Heydenrych. A suspenseful story of what happens when a prank turns to murder.
- The Courage to be Disliked by Ichiro Kishimi and Fumitake Koga (audiobook). How to free yourself, change your life and achieve real happiness
- The Doll Factory by Elizabeth Macneal. The choice of our Facebook book club this month.
- Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas (audiobook). YA adventure about an 18 year-old assassin.
- The Chain by Adrian McKinty (audiobook), A high concept thriller.
- Midnight’s Children by Salman Rushdie (audiobook). Prizewinning masterpiece.